Overseas Upcoming Non-UK Anime BD/DVD Artwork

anime_andrew said:
DVD isn't possible as the licensor requires PAL DVDs on it, which we're unwilling to do due to the quality difference vs NTSC and cost (as well as all our Gundam releases are BD only in the UK).

Wow, that's really interesting; I wouldn't have thought it made a significant difference in accessibility given that so many players can handle multiple formats now, including computers obviously (a suspicious person would think that some licensors prefer our versions to be poor PAL conversions, though I doubt they have enough experience to be that evil and it's probably coincidence). Thank you for sticking with NTSC (and BD) in general; PAL speed differences and audio issues make me crazy :)

R

Rui said:
anime_andrew said:
DVD isn't possible as the licensor requires PAL DVDs on it, which we're unwilling to do due to the quality difference vs NTSC and cost (as well as all our Gundam releases are BD only in the UK).

Wow, that's really interesting; I wouldn't have thought it made a significant difference in accessibility given that so many players can handle multiple formats now, including computers obviously (a suspicious person would think that some licensors prefer our versions to be poor PAL conversions, though I doubt they have enough experience to be that evil and it's probably coincidence). Thank you for sticking with NTSC (and BD) in general; PAL speed differences and audio issues make me crazy :)

R

It's a weird request, given even major studios like Twentieth Century Fox now release NTSC versions of some titles on DVD.

Buzz201 said:
It's a weird request, given even major studios like Twentieth Century Fox now release NTSC versions of some titles on DVD.

Their main market isn't another region 2 zone with a different pricing structure, though. I understand the logic behind it (they think region 2 customers in Japan won't know how to play the discs) but PAL DVDs in 2016 for anything other than native PAL content need to disappear.

R

Rui said:
Their main market isn't another region 2 zone with a different pricing structure, though. I understand the logic behind it (they think region 2 customers in Japan won't know how to play the discs) but PAL DVDs in 2016 for anything other than native PAL content need to disappear.

R

I don't understand any of this though. If they're smart enough to import, they're smart enough to deal with PAL.

Might be worth mentioning that if anybody doesn't have a BD player and still wants Gundam, many of the old BEEZ DVD releases are still available brand new from Amazon France for a lot cheaper than they are in the UK. They are PAL, but I believe all (or at least most) have English dub and subs. I'm guessing that also factored into AL's decision not to do DVDs, so I hope they don't mind me pointing it out.

Buzz201 said:
Rui said:

R

I don't understand any of this though. If they're smart enough to import, they're smart enough to deal with PAL.

Might be worth mentioning that if anybody doesn't have a BD player and still wants Gundam, many of the old BEEZ DVD releases are still available brand new from Amazon France for a lot cheaper than they are in the UK. They are PAL, but I believe all (or at least most) have English dub and subs. I'm guessing that also factored into AL's decision not to do DVDs, so I hope they don't mind me pointing it out.

Pretty much unless you want 00 season 2. Only place to get that at a reasonable price is Australia.

Rui said:

R
I could be wrong, but don't the newer incarnations of Gundam still sell well on DVD in Japan too? I seem to recall Gundam the Origin pulling in some very healthy numbers considering the format.
Considering it's Sunrise's own IP I can fully understand them wanting to prevent reverse importation as much as possible whilst the sales potential is still there. Most anime titles at this point either barely sell on DVD or aren't released on the format at all in Japan.

Funimation October 2016 Slate
Already Confirmed titles:

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Season 1 Collection
[Blu-ray] [DVD]
SU51mr4.jpg

r0krenL.jpg

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
Season 2 Collection
[Blu-ray] [DVD]
72Rr0Ql.jpg

7n52CVo.jpg

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
Seasons 1 & 2 Collection
Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
iiYEaUU.jpg

The Vision of Escaflowne
Part 1
[Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
tgD6UIa.jpg

The Vision of Escaflowne
Part 2
[Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
kUkm8BR.jpg

The Vision of Escaflowne: The Movie
[Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
nDeAukK.jpg

The Vision of Escaflowne
TV & Film Collection
Collector's Edition [Blu-ray]
ZEieI8E.jpg

New titles:

Attack on Titan (Live-Action) Part 1
[Blu-ray & DVD Combo] [DVD]
jq7Nul0.jpg

HjhmLwP.jpg

Blood-C
Complete Series
S.A.V.E. Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
GqikBXm.jpg

Blood-C: The Last Dark
stfNWTt.jpg

In Search of the Lost Future
Complete Series
[Blu-ray & DVD Combo] - Japanese with English subtitles only
BDy6PTJ.jpg

Jinsei: Life Consulting
Complete Series
[Blu-ray & DVD Combo] - Japanese with English subtitles only
tetIWMF.jpg

Level E
Complete Series
4AFgnJb.jpg

Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine
Complete Series
Anime Classics [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
34sY5fV.jpg

One Piece
Collection 17 (Episodes 397-421)
[DVD]
bKLk2Js.jpg

Strike Witches The Movie
[Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
HVLHUyF.jpg

[US] Maiden Japan

Den-noh Coil
Collection 2
[Blu-ray] [DVD]
VfzE6B7h.jpg

81LgqIcwQZL._SL_.jpg

RXuSGTlh.jpg

81XsYQqxQgL._SL_.jpg

[US] Sentai Filmworks

Rozen Maiden - Zurückspulen
Complete Collection
[Blu-ray]
z8RJjRWh.jpg

81Lcj3yR5kL._SL_.jpg

[US] Funimation

Seraph of the End
Complete Series
Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
Cn0eQLDWYAA-9ha.jpg

Comparison with Universal UK/EU Part 1 (of 2):
91ljrr51ZJL._SL1500_.jpg

On-disc content is the exact same, minus the Episode Dub Commentaries that Funi have.

Funimation US Complete [SRP: $199.98 (~£150)]:
  • 200 page Hardcover Artbook
  • 8-panel Digipak
  • 8 Artcards
  • 10 stickers
Universal UK Part 1 [SRP £59.99 (currently £39.99)]:
  • 134 page book of Interviews, Character Profiles & Artwork (reprinting everything from the original Japanese releases)
  • 4 Artcards
  • Poster
  • Trading Cards
Universal UK Part 2:
  • ???

I think I prefer Funi's, mostly because I like the more subtle look of the box, and the fact it's not split up. Although if Universal were to include a box to hold both parts in the UK...

Sentai Filmworks November 2016 Slate

Aoharu x Machinegun
Complete Collection
[Blu-ray] [DVD]
uucIIGs.jpg

jZraZSx.jpg

Gatchaman Crowds Insight
Complete Collection
[Blu-ray] [DVD]
h7CTCM7.jpg

5YgdKNT.jpg

Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine
Complete Collection
Standard Edition [Blu-ray] [DVD] and Collector's Edition [Blu-ray & DVD Combo]
YhhQ7Ea.jpg
rBQlgTs.jpg

pVXGM1m.jpg

Non Non Biyori Repeat
Complete Collection
[Blu-ray] [DVD]
PovouBN.jpg
qh0tVIr.jpg

To Love-Ru Darkness 2nd
Complete Collection
[Blu-ray] [DVD]
DMRXUUP.jpg
bgSk9Gp.jpg

IT'S A GUNDAM

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam
Collection 2
[Blu-ray] [DVD]
742617167423_anime-mobile-suit-v-gundam-blu-ray-primary.jpg

742617167027_anime-mobile-suit-v-gundam-dvd-primary.jpg

Mobile Suit V Gundam Collection 2 contains episodes 27-51.

As the bitter war between the League Militaire and Zanscare continues, Üso's skill with the Victory Gundam has grown, but so has his stake in the war's outcome. Between Katejina's betrayal and his parents' involvement in the League Militaire’s war strategy, there is no turning back for Üso now. The only option left is to fight until the very end!

Special Features: Clean Opening 2, Clean Closing 2, End of Episode Promos, TV Spots and Commercials

thedoctor2016 said:
IS that the only Nov Gundam?

Seems so. Their recent Gundam line-up had dates between Q4 and January/February 2017. These four are now left in the confirmed section:
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket [Dubbed] [DVD Only]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Afterglow of Zeon (Compilation Movie) [Subtitled] [Blu-ray & DVD]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory [Dubbed] [Blu-ray & DVD]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam F91 [Dubbed] [Blu-ray & DVD]
0080: War in the Pocket currently has no BD release in Japan so it's DVD only for now.

Aniplex of America

Dou kyu sei (Classmates)
[Blu-ray]
6NrvGnBh.jpg

Release Date: September 20th 2016
Language: Japanese
Subtitles: English
SRP: $74.98
TRSI: $59.98

On-Disc Extra Content:
PV & CM Collections

Physical Content:
Deluxe Booklet
Illustration Cards
Package Illustrated by author Asumiko Nakamura
Clear Case with 2-sided Wrap

Aniplex of America

The Asterisk War
Volume 1
Limited Edition [Blu-ray]
A0E3g2Mh.jpg

Release Date: September 20th 2016
Language: English & Japanese
Subtitles: English & Spanish
SRP: $114.98
TRSI: $89.98
Episode Count: 1-6

On-Disc Extra Content:
Bonus Previews
Web Previews
Textless Opening
Textless Ending Versions 1 & 2
Textless Prologue

Physical Content:
Soundtrack Remix CD “The Asterisk War Infusion Mix #1” By Composer Rasmus Faber
Deluxe Booklet
Illustration Post Cards
Package Illustrated by Tetsuya Kawakami (Character Design)
Clear Cases with 2-sided Wraps

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Complete Series
Box Set [Blu-ray]
D4lqaEvh.jpg

Release Date: August 23rd 2016
Language: English & Japanese
Subtitles: English
SRP: $149.98
TRSI: $119.98

On-Disc Extra Content:
Trailer collection
Textless Opening and Ending
Ending theme song "Magia" music video by Kalafina

Physical Content:
Package Illustrated by Takahiro Kishida (Character Design)
4-page Insert
Clear Cases with 2-sided Wraps

Back