Your viewing journal

Spy x Family CODE: White (Japanese) - Movie (Complete)

This was a really fun movie, it's more Spy x Family, what can I say. This did have some really nice art and animation though, a lot of passion went into it for sure. One problem I had though was that when the subtitles were on a bright background, it was really hard to make them out and at times I straight up couldn't read them. I didn't lose track of the story or anything and wasn't much of a problem in the second half but an annoyance nonetheless. I don't have the best eyesight either which doesn't help (even with glasses) but I could easily make them out any other time.

Mission: Yozakura Family (Japanese) - Episode 3

Non-Anime

 Knuckles
- Episode 3 - 6 (Complete)

I found this to be a really odd show. This is more of a Wade show than a Knuckles show first off which is disappointing but that isn't any hate towards Wade as I liked him but it was surprising how much Knuckles doesn't even appear on-screen at times (still has a decent amount of screentime but compared to Wade it's noticeable in the second half). The humour I found very "wacky" I'd say, cartoon like actually and though the movies have that I felt this leaned into it way more. I found it quite endearing though, even if it's very silly and though I don't like using this word, it came off as cringey at times... but I like cringe so that was fine with me and once you adjust to it, that feeling goes away, at least it did for me anyway.

This is definitely not the Knuckles show I envisioned and though this is its own universe and I'm taking this as its own separate thing I do wish they'd lean into the games a bit more as that's what a lot of fans want to see (myself included). But as it is, this was an odd little show which I did enjoy all things considered but this will definitely not be for everyone (I've seen tons of hate on Twitter but that's Twitter for ya 😅).

Last edited:
Black Butler: Public School Arc episode 3 The final piece.

Jellyfish Can’t Swim in the Night episode 4 Sweet treats.

Kaiju No. 8 episode 3 Disposal.

Ooi! Tonbo episode 4 The healing place.

Studio Apartment, Good Lighting, Angel Included episode 5 Research.

The Fable episode 4 Chunder.

Tonari no Youkai-San episode 4 Laundry fox.

Whisper Me a Love Song episode 3 I want to know what love is.

Yatagarasu: The Raven Does not Choose its Master episode 4 Running risks.

Nurse Witch Kogumi R episodes 11-12 (Complete. A fun franchise that’s been on my watchlist for a while.) 3/5

Ōban star Racers
episodes 1-19

Last edited:
Bartender: Glass of God Episode 4

Spice and Wolf (2024) Episodes 3-4.

A Condition Called Love Episodes 3-4.

Unnamed Memory Episodes 2-3. Tinasha is this Seaon's waifu for me! :inlove:

As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I’ll Use My Appraisal Skill to Rise in the World Episode 3.

These series I've listed above are officially my go-to series for this season. I'm really enjoying all of these.
Also watching:

YATAGARASU: The Raven Does Not Choose Its Master Episodes 1-3. I just started this one, and it may move up into my go-to section very quickly.

Mysterious Disappearances Episodes 2-3.

The Irregular at Magic High School Season 3 Epsidodes 3-4.

An Archdemon's Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride Episodes 3-4.

Astro Note Episodes 3-4. Kind of Maison Ikkoku-ish, but a bit too silly for me.

The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases Episode 5.

I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince So I Can Take My Time Perfecting My Magical Ability Episode 3-4.

Konosuba Season 3 Episodes 2-3. Disappointingly very tedious to watch.

Chillin' in Another World with Level 2 Super Cheat Powers Episodes 2-3.

A Galaxy Next Door Episodes 1-4. I never got to this one when it was first out, but it seems fairly decent so far as a romace anime.

Last edited:
Boogiepop Phantom, complete eps 1-12 (sub)

Creepy, stylish, deep, dark, and weird. Love it!

I must say that I found it quite difficult to follow because the story is told out of order, and from the perspective of different characters. It was satisfying to feel the pieces slowly come together, but I think I'll appreciate it more on a second viewing.

I've also since found that it is a non-canon sequel to a light novel. Apparently the novel explains many things that aren't made entirely clear in the anime. Personally, I would argue that this is a flawed strategy, lol. But I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the novels, and I'm excited to get them sometime, and then revisit this anime in a year or two when I've got enough distance from it to enjoy it again, while still having it fresh enough in my memory that I'll be able to piece things together from the start.

Blue Archive The Animation episode 4 Eye for an eye.

Go! Go! Loser Ranger! episode 4 Equal.

Grandpa and Grandma Turn Young Again episode 4 Back in time.

Mission: Yozakura Family episode 4 Piles.

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II Part 2 episode 16 Sibling struggles.

One Piece episode 1102 Proceeding as planned.

Sound! Euphonium 3 episode 4 Important talk.

The Duke of Death and His Maid Season 3 episode 28 See you.

Ōban star Racers episodes 20-26 (Complete. Though the plot suffers from being repetitive this was a solid series that I’m happy to have backed the Kickstarter campaign for.) 3.5/5

Occultic;Nine
episodes 1-12 (Complete. I didn’t get all that much out of this overall, and I’m not sure I fancy a rewatch either to see what I might have missed.) 2.5/5

Last edited:
Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf (Japanese) - Episode 4

KonoSuba! God's Blessing on this Wonderful World! (Japanese) - Episode 3

Bartender: Glass of God (Japanese) - Episode 4

As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I'll Use My Appraisal Skill to Rise in the World Episode 4

Blue Archive The Animation Episode 4

Mission: Yozakura Family Episode 4

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II Part 2 Episode 40

The Duke of Death and His Maid Season 3 Episode 28

SPY x FAMILY CODE: White (movie): After skipping a bunch of recent anime cinema releases due to the hassle of getting to a cinema which is showing them (it's effectively a full day trip), we travelled out to see this one and found it a fun return to the innocent misunderstandings of the most charmingly overpowered family unit in its genre. The animation was slick, the storyline was entertaining and it was a perfectly good entry point even for viewers who hadn't kept up to date with the TV series, which is a shame as two of my friends skipped it out of fear that they were too far behind. Most of the side characters were reduced to brief cameos, which was a pity, but I suppose that it kept the plot from getting too complicated in what was already a fairly busy film.

Mission: Yozakura Family ep 1: I watched this right after coming home from the cinema and the similar subject matter (secret suburban spies in a family setting) made it difficult to be objective. This is a goofy, fluffy shounen romp with comedic elements focused on its cast of weirdo siblings in a family of modern day spies-for-hire. The hero suddenly finds himself 'marrying' (chastely, of course) into the family for plot reasons and he's going to have to get used to his new family members, the spy lifestyle and the idea of his best friend now being his partner. The result is perfectly fine entertainment, just not something that I think will be worth following with so much else on my plate. It doesn't help that it's hidden away on Disney+ with no promotion.

R

I love Witch Hunter Robin, although I've only watched it subtitled, so no idea how the dub is. I even picked up a poster and the Soundtrack CDs!
Just to say that the original soundtrack is by Taku Iwasaki (GetBackers, Black Cat, Gurren Lagann, Bungo Stray Dogs) who is, imho, one of the best Japanese soundtrack composers of the last twenty years and deserves more recognition. (I also loved Witch Hunter Robin, although I haven't watched it in in a long while...).

Anime

Patlabor Episodes 1 and 2

So I made yet another attempt at getting through my backlog and I thought to try this out and…….. eh.
Yeah I’m not all that impressed, it’s another one, it’s hardly a bad show but it carries the same traits as so many other shows that I’ve seen it all before.

Non Anime

Dune Part 1

So I’m a bit mixed on this, on one hand I can’t deny the sheer amount of effort that went into the world building, which is deep and interesting enough to hold the film up on it’s own and is the reason I’m very much planning to watch Part 2, on the other hand though, it has a fair amount of tropes that irk me in live action films, chief among them being the whisper acting, I’m sorry, this doesn’t make your film more dramatic, it only makes it seem like the actors are incapable of projecting themselves, it is especially ridiculous when you have two characters talking to one another in a hushed way while 2 or so meters away from each other and still able to hear each other just fine, it’s ridiculous and I wish actors would find some other way of acting because this style is everywhere and it’s part of the reason why I don’t watch many live action films anymore.

Last edited:
Frieren eps 15-21 (dub)
Directional decision and first round of the exam.
7 episodes is normally a bit too much for me, but the 4th of the block started round one of the exam arc, which I assume may end up being the rest of the season because there's a round 2 coming. I felt compelled to keep watching even though 4 episodes for this part started to feel a little long in the end.

Gods’ Games we Play episode 5 Underling.

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf episode 5 Laughter and forgetting.

Train to the End of the World episode 5 Big time.

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- season 2 episode 29 Guinea pig.

Oh! Edo Rocket episodes 1-12

Chillin' in Another World with Level 2 Super Cheat Powers Episode 4

Gods' Game We Play Episode 5

I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince So I Can Take My Time Perfecting My Magical Ability Episode 5

Re:Monster Episode 5

Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5

The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases Episode 6

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- Season 2 Episode 29

My Hero Academia episodes 26-38: And that's season 2 done. If Bakugo doesn't go to the dark side at some point, I'll surrender my long-term story act prediction badge! It's still giving me a headache. Time for something relaxing over lunch.... hmm Dr Stone season 2 should be peaceful. :)

Frieren eps 22-28 (dub) (complete)
Dungeon crawling and interview.
There was a nice balance between chill moments and action in the first half, but the second half with the exam arc tipped the balance towards action and whilst it was intriguing with the various tactics both the first 2 stages dragged a little and then suddenly stage 3 was done in half an episode!
The most affecting moments, for me, were when Frieren was remembering the various parts of her past life, although the pinnacle was the battle of wits at the end of episode 10.
The art, animation and music were all great too.
9/10
No doubt it deserves the praise it got, but to be above FMA: Brotherhood feels wrong as that is a complete story and this doesn't even feel half way yet, but that's the problem of comparing the old style of animating the whole story in one go versus today where even when the original is finished the adaptation gets split up.

Back